My Local Library

23 Jul

I went into my library last week to pick up a couple of books that I had on hold (because my TBR pile isn’t quite large enough…) and the staff there told me that the library would be closing (cue dramatic intake of breath) for refurbishment for a little while (and breathe again).

I actually think we’re pretty lucky with the library system in Swansea. There are a number of libraries across the city, and I can use my card to take books out and return them to any library. That’s good to know–if I happen to be passing a library and need a book fix, I’m not limited.

Swansea Central library is amazing, and has a huge selection of books. It is right on the sea front and has a study area overlooking Swansea Bay on the first floor. I sometimes go there for a change of scenery when I want to write (read: people watch), which I’ve mentioned before on my blog (anyone remember the cheese-eating man?).

My local library is in walking distance, which is even better. There’s always a lot of people in there too, using the computers or browsing the books. So whilst it’s not ideal for it to be closed from the end of August to the beginning of February, I can only imagine how beautiful it will be when it has had its makeover. Apparently they’re redoing the wiring, adding wi-fi, and changing the layout slightly.

When the man in the library sounded very apologetic about the length of the closure, I said to him that its being refurbished is a very positive sign. Better that than a permanent closure. No one is going to refurbish a library they’re about to close, are they?

With a couple of other libraries nearby being renovated in the past year or two, I’d say the library system in Swansea is in good shape. And with more than 200 libraries being closed in the UK in 2012, that can only be a good thing, right?

Do you have a local library? Do you love yours as much as I love mine? (I doubt it… :-D)

About these ads

10 Responses to “My Local Library”

1. Alex J. Cavanaugh July 23, 2013 at 4:13 pm #

I admit I rarely get down to our local library. Then again, it doesn’t have a view of the ocean either.
    And I do remember the cheese-eating man!

2. Natalie July 23, 2013 at 6:38 pm #

I want to move to Swansea just for the central library. Study area overlooking the bay? I could live in the actual library!

I don’t get to our local library much since starting back at work and Harry going to nursery. We used to go to the read and rhyme sessions there and it does have a lovely children’s section. The rest feels a bit run down (although they had a refurb only a few years ago) and I wouldn’t want to work in the study area. My heart is still stuck at Beccles Library which was one of my haunts growing up… nothing can compare :-D.

• Stacey Mitchell July 24, 2013 at 10:29 am #

It’s such a shame that some libraries are becoming run down. I was thinking back to Beccles library recently, but the awful thing is that I can’t really remember what it was like inside! I used to go a lot when I was much younger, but not so much when I was a teenager.

3. Rebecca Bradley July 23, 2013 at 8:06 pm #

A refurb is definitely better than a closure, though that’s a pretty long refurb. My local library now runs on reduced hours. I’d be surprised if it lasts the cuts to be honest, which is sad.

• Stacey Mitchell July 24, 2013 at 10:34 am #

It’s a shame that your library is running on reduced hours. It’s obviously better than being closed altogether but I can’t helping thinking that often it’s the stage that comes just before closure. Fingers crossed we’re both wrong!

4. Elle Turner July 23, 2013 at 9:27 pm #

I’m glad your library isn’t closing permanently. We’re lucky too to have a number of libraries – I was working in one recently and it reminded me of being back at uni!

• Stacey Mitchell July 24, 2013 at 10:36 am #

Oh yes! I think working in the library when I was at uni is what made me learn to work no matter what the noise level is around me. The library at Swansea uni, especially during the exam period, was always the social hub of the entire place–much “revising” taking place!

5. Charleen July 23, 2013 at 10:46 pm #

I do love my library. During the school year I go every Sunday, staying for a few hours to read, write, or just browse. During the summer they aren’t open Sundays and my visits have been a little more sporadic, but I’m looking forward to getting back into my routine in the fall.

• Stacey Mitchell July 24, 2013 at 10:37 am #

That sounds lovely! That’s a great way to spend a Sunday, especially during the colder months in winter.

Now it's your turn...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,156 other followers